Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Douglas/Elbert County Washout!

What a big rainstorm south of the Metro Area on Tuesday afternoon! I was working the afternoon shift on KOSI 101 and doing a "virtual chase" looking at the NEXRAD on my laptop in the studio. I watched two huge areas of rain move over the Front Range. One went to the north and soaked Boulder and Golden. The other moved out of the foothills of western Douglas County and dumped copius amounts of rain on Douglas and Elbert Counties between 3 and 5 p.m. The storm then moved into northeast Elbert County and the NWS issued a Severe Thunderstorm Warning on it due to penny-sized hail. Penny-sized is 3/4 inch, which is the minimum required for a warning. My radar screen was lit-up all afternoon with this baby! When I got home to Elizabeth around 7:30, I checked my official National Weather Service rain gauge and logged 1.82 inches of rain! I guess I won't have to worry about watering the lawn for a few days!

No comments: